10 Mount Morris Park West is an anomalous if attractive intrusion into a district that displays a marked late 19th century architectural character; built in 1923, it rises seven stories. Ironically, its prior use was as a penitentiary – the Parkside Correctional Facility for women. It was converted to residential use in 2006 and now… Continue reading
Larger overall than the buildings lining the south side of West 120th Street, 4-9 Mount Morris Park West is a handsome row that displays a Beaux Arts sensibility translated into the traditional brownstone associated with New York rowhouses of an earlier era. 4-6 were designed by Gilbert A. Schellenger in 1893 and 7-9 were designed… Continue reading
The elegant row that stands at 26-40 West 120th Street shows a greater level of overall finish than its neighbors to the east, but is slightly more old-fashioned in terms of architectural style, which here harks back to the Italianate of the immediate post-Civil War period. Like 12-24, it was probably erected as a speculative… Continue reading
The townhouses that line 12-24 West 120th Street were probably erected as a speculative development. Built with red brick and brownstone trim, the style is an eclectic mixture of Neo-Grec and Queen Anne details.
Two West 12oth Street, designed in 1900 by George Pelham, is a very handsome Beaux Arts apartment house in the Anglo-French style. Its deep red brick makes a dramatic contract with the more somber brownstones that line this block of West 120th Street. Ironically, the first building on Fifth Avenue in the Mount Morris Historic District is… Continue reading