The pleasant Colonial Revival building at 2238 Fifth Avenue houses the Central Harlem District Health Center. A 1930 design by the firm of McKim, Mead and White, the interiors have been given an airy renovation by Steven Yablon Architecture. The building is a New York City landmark.
10 Mount Morris Park West is an anomalous if attractive intrusion into a district that displays a marked late 19th century architectural character; built in 1923, it rises seven stories. Ironically, its prior use was as a penitentiary – the Parkside Correctional Facility for women. It was converted to residential use in 2006 and now… Continue reading
A trio of Edwardian survivors stand at 1411, 1413 and 1415 Fifth Avenue; 1411 is under renovation; 1413’s handsome cornice has recently been restored; while the most distinguished (and most ramshackle) of the three, 1415, still malingers. Here’s hoping its brownstone-trimmed corner turret comes back to new life in the near future.
Housed in a neo-classical building that shares space with offices and a school, El Museo del Barrio (“The Museum of the Neighborhood”, often shortened to “El Museo”) was founded in 1969 and moved to its current location at 1230 Fifth Avenue in 1977. A significant collection of pre-Columbian and traditional Native and Latin American art… Continue reading
An unusual building designed in 1926 by architectural brothers George and Edward Blum, 1212 Fifth Avenue was renovated as a condominium residence in 2012 by S. Russell Groves. Replacement windows give the façade an unfortunately blank look.