952 Fifth Avenue
A pleasant Neo-Renaissance design, 952 Fifth Avenue was completed in 1923 and is the work of the architect Henry Otis Chapman. Despite its small scale, it was built as an apartment house on a previously vacant site and is the only one on Fifth Avenue erected under a 75-foot height limit created to protect the district from further apartment tower construction. The limit was overturned by a coalition of land-owners and architects, including J.E.R. Carpenter, who designed 950 Fifth Avenue next door.
At some point after World War II, several additional floors were added as a series of setbacks: they are visually incongruous but not overbearing.
952 Fifth Avenue is a rental – one of very few on Fifth.