In keeping with many similar commercial and mixed-use developments in the early 20th Century, 1 West 137th Street mixes Colonial and Beaux Arts details. A cheery survivor from the period, it helps impart a traditional neighborhood presence to what is otherwise a monumentally scaled district. 2254 Fifth Avenue, directly to the north and visible in… Continue reading
The pleasant Colonial Revival building at 2238 Fifth Avenue houses the Central Harlem District Health Center. A 1930 design by the firm of McKim, Mead and White, the interiors have been given an airy renovation by Steven Yablon Architecture. The building is a New York City landmark.
2230 Fifth Avenue, the former John B. Russwurm School, is the home of the Harlem branch of the Democracy Prep Charter Middle School, a series of charter schools with locations in New York City; Camden, NJ; Las Vegas; Baton Rouge; and San Antonio. The architecture is typical for public schools of the period.
With over 1,200 apartments in seven buildings covering a three-block tract, Riverton Square’s official address is 2156 Madison Avenue, but fronts Fifth Avenue between East 135th and East 138th Streets. Developed in 1947 by the Metropolitan Life Company as housing open to African-American and Hispanic tenants at a time when most new developments were overtly… Continue reading
With an official address of 470 Lenox Avenue, the Lenox Terrace development covers six square blocks between Lenox and Fifth Avenues, alternating six residential slab towers with single-story commercial developments on the Lenox Avenue frontage. The first tower was completed in 1958 and was lauded by The New York Times as “Harlem’s best address”. Currently… Continue reading