385 Fifth Avenue

385 Fifth Avenue, also known as The Accessory Center (undoubtedly to differentiate it from The Accessories Exchange a block south at 366 Fifth Avenue) was completed in 1929 by Farrar & Watmough. The firm’s best-known work may be the massive London Terrace complex on 23rd Street between Ninth and Tenth Avenues, the largest such apartment… Continue reading

375, 377 & 379 Fifth Avenue

Capped by a pair of oddly funereal urns, the slightly eccentric building at 377 Fifth Avenue (shown at center above) looks as if it might have been designed by Edward Gorey.  It is in fact by the firm of Severance and Van Alen and was designed in 1921 as part of the Childs Restaurant chain,… Continue reading

366 Fifth Avenue

A handsome mix of Romanesque and Beaux Arts motifs, 366 Fifth Avenue, also known as The New York Accessories Exchange, was built in 1907-1908 and is a major center for the accessories trade. The original freight elevator from 1907 is still run by a porter.  

270 Fifth Avenue, Holland House

Constructed as the Holland House in 1890, 270 Fifth Avenue is one of the grandest such survivors from the period that saw the brownstone houses of Nomad replaced by no less opulent hotels.  Designed by Harding & Gooch, 270 Fifth Avenue was intended to suggest the external restraint associated with the earlier domestic buildings while… Continue reading

256 Fifth Avenue

A Moorish Revival fantasy from architects Alfred Zucker and John H. Edelman, 256 Fifth Avenue was commissioned by Charles A. Baudouine, a leading furniture designer who specialized in exotic designs.  Retiring from the furniture world, Baudouine invested in real estate and the exotic designs continued: 256 Fifth Avenue is one of NoMad’s earliest purpose-built commercial… Continue reading