991 Fifth Avenue
A lavishly detailed survivor from the Gilded Age, 991 Fifth Avenue was designed by architects James R. Turner and William G. Killian. A later owner commissioned new interiors from Ogden Codman Jr., one of the most talented designers of the time.
The house was purchased by the American Irish Historical Society in 1939 for its important collection of books, papers and documents pertaining to Irish and Irish-American history.
Beginning in 2006, the organization oversaw a full two-year restoration of the building’s fading interiors, restoring them to their original grandeur under the eye of architect Joseph Pell Lombardi.
The Society is open regularly for public programming and research.