An elegantly proportioned seven-building complex on a thirteen acre site, Savory Park was built in 1959 and is surrounded by beautiful landscaping. Among the older structures it replaced was the Savoy Ballroom, a center of swing and ballroom music during the Harlem Renaissance.
The United States Post Office (Lincolnton Station) at 2266 Fifth Avenue is typical of public architecture in New York City in the decades following WWII, which is to say unshowy and sensible but dull. Some care has been taken with the brickwork.
The Greenstreets program provides a pretty triangle of floral plantings at West 138th Street, an unusual traffic island in Manhattan’s grid and one of only two to border Fifth Avenue (the other stretches the block between 24th/23rd Streets and is known as Flatiron Public Square). The dab of color and shade are a pleasant accent… Continue reading
The fire box at West 138th Street is typical in design, with a torch surmounting the call box and call buttons for the fire department and police. The pink paint scheme is unusual and unlikely to be original. There are several hundred scattered throughout the city , many of which are no longer operative. Another… Continue reading
Chauncy Hooper Towers at 10 West 138th Street commemorates the WWII Commander of the 369th Coast Artillery Regiment, an all-African-American troop, the majority of whom were from Harlem. Stationed in Hawaii during WWII, the unit was given the nickname “Hooper’s Troopers”. During the postwar period, Commander Hooper held numerous senior positions in New York City… Continue reading