Every Building on Fifth

Monument to the 369th Regiment

A simple but dignified 12-foot tall black granite monument to the all-African-American 369th Regiment stands in a pleasant garden plot opposite the troop’s historic drill hall.  Installed in 2006, it replicates a monument in France to the efforts of the troop during WWI and contains the troop’s rattlesnake insignia and crest.

Pedestrian Bridge, East 142nd Street

As Manhattan Island tapers northward, Madison Avenue follows the contours of its shoreline to terminate at Fifth Avenue and 142nd Street, the only instance of two north/south avenues meeting.  At the intersection, the east side of the Fifth Avenue sidewalk also terminates with a pedestrian bridge that leads across the FDR Expressway and to the… Continue reading

2350 Fifth Avenue

A former self-storage warehouse pressed into service as the Global Community Charter School, 2350 Fifth Avenue has been augmented with bright murals at the ground floor level.  The rather bizarre paint scheme is otherwise a relic of the building’s warehouse days.

2333 Fifth Avenue, Riverbend Houses

Constructed in 1967 to designs by Davis Brody Bond, Riverbend Houses at 2333 Fifth Avenue is the last of the major housing developments to line this section of Fifth Avenue.  Conceived after the theories of the French architect and theorist Le Corbusier, it represents a break with the all-brick construction of the previous decades.  The… Continue reading

2300-2330 Fifth Avenue, Savoy Park

An elegantly proportioned seven-building complex on a thirteen acre site, Savory Park was built in 1959 and is surrounded by beautiful landscaping.  Among the older structures it replaced was the Savoy Ballroom, a center of swing and ballroom music during the Harlem Renaissance.