208 Fifth Avenue

208 Fifth Avenue

An accomplished Renaissance Revival design from the firm of Berg & Clark, 208 Fifth Avenue was completed in 1894 and was one of the first commercial buildings in the MoMad district.

Berg & Clark are perhaps best known for the now-demolished Gillender Building, a striking 1897 skyscraper that stood at Nassau and Wall Street and which was   capped by a spiky cupola not unlike Richard Maynicke’s spire at the Sohmer Building at 22nd Street and Fifth Avenue. Despite its grandeur, the Gillender Building stood a mere 13 years before being demolished for a larger structure, a victim of its own narrow floorplates.

Leave a Reply

Sign up for Our Newsletter

* = required field

powered by MailChimp!