This vigorous Beaux Arts design at 314 Fifth Avenue was the former home of the famed Polk’s Hobby Shop, the noted model train emporium. The shop was featured in a scene in Francis Ford Coppola’s The Godfather.
A once-proud brownstone mansion, 313 Fifth Avenue was constructed for the Murdock Family in 1853 and was considered an outlier in terms of location, at the very northernost bounderies of respectable addresses. The building’s later tenants included the art gallery Fishel, Adler & Schwartz, whose exhibition roster included Claude Monet. A well-intentioned paint job and… Continue reading
A ornate Gothic façade, 312 Fifth Avenue is an excellent example of the commercial architecture of the early 20th Century.
This Mid-Century recladding of the original IBM headquarters at 310 Fifth Avenue employs luxe materials and sleek aluminum spandrels to create a near automotive sense of streamlined modernity. The neon sign for the hat shop adds a kick of Cary Grant-like glamour.
One of the few completed new buildings in the NoMad district, 309-311 Fifth Avenue, also known as The Dylan, is a well-mannered newcomer overall. The wafer-thin appearance of the façade and the sculptured entry (shown above) are both nice touches. However, the failure to fill out the street wall – leaving the masonry scars from… Continue reading