2 East 127th Street is a Beaux Arts apartment house shorn of its cornice.
An attractive apartment house with an imposing rounded corner bay, 1 West 127th Street is also known as The Harriet. The building was designed in 1914.
An accomplished Gothic Revival design from Henry Martyn Congden, St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church was built in 1872. A New York City landmark since 1980, its piercing clock tower is 125 ft. tall. Congden was a noted church architect whose designs for the Episcopal Church were built from Westerly, RI, to Cheyenne, WY. At St. Andrew’s,… Continue reading
An attractive if unusual confection, 2056 Fifth Avenue consists of a highly-detailed Beaux Arts Building and a penthouse floor addition in a seeming Viennese Expressionist style. Constructed as Fifth Avenue Hall in 1917, the original building served as a center for New York’s Finnish community, which settled extensively in Harlem during the 1910s and 1920s. … Continue reading
Like its neighbor to the south, 2049 Fifth Avenue was built in 1921 – but, despite being the less interesting design, appears to have held on to its original facade a bit better overall.