A handsome mix of Romanesque and Beaux Arts motifs, 366 Fifth Avenue, also known as The New York Accessories Exchange, was built in 1907-1908 and is a major center for the accessories trade. The original freight elevator from 1907 is still run by a porter.
A wonderfully sophisticated commercial building, 335-339 Fifth Avenue was designed by the firm of Renwick, Aspinwall & Russell, successors to the firm of James Renwick Jr., designer of St. Patrick’s Cathedral. Commissioned by the carriage (and later automobile) design firm of A.T. Demarest, the 1889 building boasted the first electrically powered elevator in the world and… Continue reading
One of the earliest commercial buildings on this stretch of the avenue, 246 Fifth Avenue was constructed in two stages in 1889 to designs by John E. Terhune. Engagingly cranky Richardsonian Romanesque features are obscured by a (non-original) pink paint job that brings the building into an uneasy accord with 251 Fifth Avenue, located diagonally… Continue reading
A solid example of the late commercial style of architecture, 160 Fifth Avenue was designed by the popular and prolific architect R.H. Robertson, whose work includes numerous townhouses, mansions, public buildings and commercial works, including the enormous Park Row Building of 1899, the tallest building in the world for nearly a decade; Hammersmith Farms, the… Continue reading
A rare and highly finished example of the Richardsonian Romanesque, 156 Fifth Avenue is a magnificently assured work by the firm of Rowe & Baker. Constructed in 1894-1895, the building was commissioned by the Presbyterian Church of America to house its publishing offices and serve as one of two national headquarters for church operations (the… Continue reading