Standing at 1367 Fifth Avenue in the shadow of the Senator Robert A. Taft Houses, Engine Company 58/Ladder Company 26 is the only firehouse to front Fifth Avenue. Organized in 1904, it has been quartered in its present building since 1960. Its mascot is a firefighting English Bulldog known as Eng-Lad; its motto is “The Fire… Continue reading
Surrounded by low-rise landmarks, 1080 Fifth Avenue has spectacular views in nearly all directions. The building itself is of more interest for additions made to it over the years than for any intrinsic merit (such as the striking cylindrical glass bay on the south side of the setbacks; visible here in the upper right-hand corner)…. Continue reading
A building similar to its neighbor at 1050, 1056 Fifth Avenue is a post-war design faced in gold-beige brick. The architect was George F. Pelham for the development firm Simon Brothers. The building’s numerous cantilevered balconies have been mostly filled in to enlarge living space.
A gold-beige brick post-war building completed in 1960 to designs by Wechsler & Schimenti, 1050 Fifth Avenue shows some vigorous modeling at the upper stories. A fountain graces the handsome lobby.
This puzzling slot in the streetwall is explained by the desire of a developer to claim a Fifth Avenue address for a building actually located on 83rd and 84th Streets. Designed by H. L. Feldman, 1025 Fifth Avenue is accessed through the gap between 1020 Fifth Avenue and the mansions to the north, a solution… Continue reading