An austere but compelling design, the 1929 Episcopal Church of the Heavenly Rest is the first religious structure on Fifth Avenue north of Temple Emanu-El, 25 blocks south. Completed by the firm of Mayers, Murray & Phillip, successors to the great Bertram Goodhue, the church was erected on a site sold by Andrew Carnegie with… Continue reading
The Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church, here shown under restoration, is one of the largest Presbyterian congregations in the United States. Located at 55th Street and Fifth Avenue since 1873, the stupendous Victorian High Gothic building was the tallest in New York City when completed. Designed by the little-known architect Carl Pfeiffer, Fifth Avenue Presbyterian’s impressive… Continue reading
A 1913 masterwork of architectural firm Cram, Goodhue & Ferguson, Saint Thomas Church (Also known as Saint Thomas Church Fifth Avenue) is a major example of the Late Gothic Revival. Replacing an impressive design by Richard Upjohn and his son that was lost to fire, the current church is built of self-supporting stone and has… Continue reading
Begun in 1858 and only reaching its present form in 1931, St. Patrick’s Cathedral was designed by James Renwick Jr., one of the foremost of New York’s Gothic Revival architects. Equally adept in other styles, he also designed the Italianate castle of the original Smithsonian Institute and the Main Building at Vassar College in the… Continue reading
A ornate Gothic façade, 312 Fifth Avenue is an excellent example of the commercial architecture of the early 20th Century.