A ornate Gothic façade, 312 Fifth Avenue is an excellent example of the commercial architecture of the early 20th Century.
An extravagantly detailed Beaux Arts tower more redolent of Wall Street than Midtown, 303 Fifth Avenue was completed in 1909 to designs by Buchman & Fox and was one of the tallest buildings north of the Flatiron Building at 23rd Street. Boasting a splendid copper cornice, the building has been owned by the Bell Family… Continue reading
Built in 1911, 286-288 Fifth Avenue was designed by James B. Baker, also responsible for the Presbyterian Building at 156 Fifth Avenue and the magnificent New York City Chamber of Commerce. Despite a ludicrous travertine insertion between the two lowermost floors, 286-288 Fifth Avenue retains much its highly sculptural ornamental detailing.
Landmark Branding was disappointed to learn of the current demolition of the Bancroft Building, former home of the great photographer Alfred Steiglitz’s Camera Club and a notable design from the talented 19th and early 20th century architect R. H. Robertson. Shown here directly abutting Marble Collegiate Church to the east, this splendid structure could have… Continue reading
Designed by the architectural firm of Eisendrath & Horowitz, 255 Fifth Avenue replaced two brownstone houses with a sophisticated screen-like façade of gleaming white terra cotta that references Classical motifs while incorporating the windows and proportions of the new Chicago School. The lower floors have been remodeled. Eisendrath & Horowitz are perhaps best known for… Continue reading