Two West 111th Street is the first West-numbered building north of West 59th Street and an example of the commercial architecture that made up much of New York in the early 20th century.
One of the few remaining small-scale commercial works by the great New York architect George B. Post, 4 East 39th Street was originally the home of Keppel & Co., a renowned art gallery that alternated exhibitions of Old Masters with those of contemporary American artists – thus the remarkable likenesses of Rembrandt and James Whistler… Continue reading
Incorporated into the St. Regis Hotel’s retail, the little building at 697 Fifth Avenue is a pleasant reminder of the small-scale commercial architecture that once lined this section of the street.
The Charles Scribner’s Sons Building at 597 Fifth Avenue is one of Midtown’s best surviving commercial buildings from the early 20th century. Designed in 1912 by Ernest Flagg, architect of the Little Singer Building on Broadway and an earlier building for Scribner’s at 153-157 Fifth Avenue, 597 Fifth Avenue is a virtuoso melding of Parisian… Continue reading
Capped by a pair of oddly funereal urns, the slightly eccentric building at 377 Fifth Avenue (shown at center above) looks as if it might have been designed by Edward Gorey. It is in fact by the firm of Severance and Van Alen and was designed in 1921 as part of the Childs Restaurant chain,… Continue reading