Just Off Fifth: The Untermyer Fountain
A cast of German artist Walter Schott’s “Three Dancing Maidens,” the Untermyer Fountain is named after Samuel Untermeyer, a prominent lawyer and civic leader. Donated to Central Park in 1947 by Untermyer’s heirs, the work is typical of the Art Nouveau period in continental Europe.
The fountain once stood in a 48-acre formal garden that was part of Untermyer’s vast estate in Yonkers, just north of New York City. Donated to the City of Yonkers, the garden is known as Untermyer Park. Neglected for a long period, the park is currently undergoing comprehensive renovations.