A pair of handsome early 20th century buildings, 1486 & 1488 Fifth Avenue exhibit various Italianate and Beaux Arts details in a suave mishmash characteristic of the period.
A flashy anomaly in the neighborhood, 1485 Fifth Avenue, also known as “Fifth on the Park”, is a 2007 design by FXFOWLE Architects. A highly sculptural ground floor is offset by a red brick approximation of Art Moderne above; the effect is playful if somewhat aggressively so. FXFOWLE Architects’ credits include the mock-deconstructionist 4 Time… Continue reading
1484 Fifth Avenue, like its neighbor to the south, was probably originally a commercial building. The faux stone facing and pointed windows on the first floor were presumably added at some point during its current incarnation as the Mt. Pisgah Turner African Methodist Episcopal Church.
Now one of the many small “shop-front” churches that serve the Harlem community, 1480 Fifth Avenue may have been a commercial building originally. An arched central door and first-floor windows lend a note of mid-19th Century “Romanesque” character.
The pendant to 1465 Fifth Avenue, 1473 Fifth Avenue is by the same architect and developers.