934 Fifth Avenue, the French Consulate General
A lavish Italian Renaissance Revival mansion, 934 Fifth Avenue was built in 1926 to designs by Walker & Gillette, a firm better known for their Art Deco skyscrapers. Completed for Charles and Elizabeth Mitchell, the house was famed for recitals given by Mrs. Mitchell’s many musical friends, who included George Gershwin and Ignay Padrewski.
Acquired in 1942 by the French government, 934 Fifth Avenue has served as the official Consulate General since then and hosts a diverse schedule of programming for French and international visitors. The magnificent interiors are largely intact.