530 Fifth Avenue, The Bank of New York Building

530 Fifth Avenue

An all-business essay in very late Art Moderne, The Bank of New York Building at 530 Fifth Avenue was completed in 1959 and reflects in its limestone detailing a bid for contextuality with the famed Rockefeller Center a few blocks to the north.  Its dignity has been severely damaged by the discordant shopfronts that now dominate at street level.

The architects were Voorhees, Walker, Foley & Smith, a continuation of Ralph Walker’s firm.

Leave a Reply

Sign up for Our Newsletter

* = required field

powered by MailChimp!