4 East 66th Street/845 Fifth Avenue
A conservative but well-proportioned building, 4 East 66th Street, also known as 845 Fifth Avenue, was designed by J.E.R. Carpenter in 1920. Carpenter was at the front of new zoning changes for this stretch of Fifth Avenue, bringing a lawsuit against the city that resulted in the widespread development of the Upper East Side with apartment houses by himself and his peers.
The original interiors of 4 East 66th Street were highly ornate, in contrast to the stark exterior.
4 East 66th Street was converted to a co-op in 1949.