The Vanderbilt Gate, Conservatory Gardens
Central Park’s only formal gardens are reached through the spectacular wrought iron Vanderbilt Gate, which was originally located many blocks south near Fifth Avenue and West 58th Street, where it served as the entrance gates to the colossal Cornelius Vanderbilt Mansion.
The gates, like the mansion, were designed by George B. Post in a dramatic reinterpretation of the French Early Renaissance. They were removed when the house was demolished; Bergdorf Goodman now stands at the site.
Cast in a Paris foundry, the Vanderbilt Gate was reinstalled at this location in 1937.