An attractive row of townhouses that fills the block between 117th and 118th Streets, 1441-1459 Fifth Avenue are the first such buildings developed on Fifth Avenue since the early 20th century. A mix of simple Italianate and Greek Revival influences, they are one of several similar developments in the neighborhood, particularly those blocks between Park… Continue reading
8 West 118th Street, also known as the the Canaan House Residential Project, is a striking example of the Corbusier-influenced aesthetic that informed much of social housing in the United States during the decades following WWII.
An attractive addition to the neighborhood, 1429 Fifth Avenue was constructed in 2004, replacing a vacant lot next to 1421 Fifth Avenue. Containing 43 apartments, this is technically the northernmost building on Fifth Avenue located within East Harlem proper; the blocks to the north are considered part of the Mount Morris district.