4 East 66th Street/845 Fifth Avenue

4 East 66th Street

A conservative but well-proportioned building, 4 East 66th Street, also known as 845 Fifth Avenue, was designed by J.E.R. Carpenter in 1920.  Carpenter was at the front of new zoning changes for this stretch of Fifth Avenue, bringing a lawsuit against the city that resulted in the widespread development of the Upper East Side with… Continue reading

Temple Emanu-El

Temple Emanu-El

The largest synagogue in New York City and one of the largest in the world, Temple Emanu-El is an imposing combination of Romanesque and Art Moderne motifs.  The third building to serve a congregation founded in 1844, Temple Emanu-El was designed in 1929 by Robert D. Kohn, a noted Art Nouveau architect whose other works… Continue reading

838 Fifth Avenue

838 Fifth Avenue

Completed in 1950 to designs by Harry M. Prince, 838 Fifth Avenue was originally the offices of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations.  A sensitive and understated design, it is the only office building on Fifth Avenue between 59th and 100th Streets. in 1999 the building was converted to condos by the firm of Beyer… Continue reading

834 Fifth Avenue

834 Fifth Avenue

Designed by Rosario Candela, 834 Fifth Avenue was one of the last of New York’s great luxury buildings to be completed before the Great Depression put an end to demand for lavish housing.  Faced with limestone and containing 24 apartments, the admirably austere design was altered during construction when a mansion to the south of… Continue reading

830 Fifth Avenue, The Central Park Arsenal

830 Fifth Avenue Central Park Armory

Predating both the Upper East Side and Central Park itself, the Central Park Arsenal dates to 1847 and is the second oldest structure in Central Park after the Blockhouse Fort of 1814.  Designed by Martin E. Lawrence, the building is an early example in the United States of the Romantic Revival applied to a large… Continue reading

Sign up for Our Newsletter

* = required field

powered by MailChimp!