The battle-worn relic at 251 Fifth Avenue, now linked to the even more vandalized 253 Fifth Avenue, is a rare surviving work by the architect George B. Post, one of New York’s earliest great architects. Built in 1872 as an early example of “French Flats,” the progenitor to the New York luxury apartment house, the… Continue reading
Dwarfed by many of its neighbors, 250-252 Fifth Avenue often passes unnoticed; yet it is the southernmost building on the avenue to be designed by the celebrated firm of McKim, Mead & White, also responsible for the Washington Square Arch (a picture of which commences this blog) and for numerous major landmarks through the city… Continue reading
Replacing The Knickerbocker, one of New York’s earliest apartment houses, the gothic skyscraper at 243-249 Fifth Avenue was designed by George Pelham and finished in 1927. The highly modeled setbacks on the upper floors incorporate a hexagonal water tower. The lobby is a classic of its kind, a swanky, atmospheric space that suggests a lush… Continue reading
One of the earliest commercial buildings on this stretch of the avenue, 246 Fifth Avenue was constructed in two stages in 1889 to designs by John E. Terhune. Engagingly cranky Richardsonian Romanesque features are obscured by a (non-original) pink paint job that brings the building into an uneasy accord with 251 Fifth Avenue, located diagonally… Continue reading
A narrow limestone-faced shaft, 244 Fifth Avenue is typical of architect Robert Maynicke’s work and, like 236-238 Fifth, is similar to the early skyscrapers that line the Ladies’ Mile south of 23rd Street.